Sunday, August 25 The 11th Sunday after Pentecost Scripture: Exodus 3:1-6 Luke 20:27-40 Sermon: “Ahh...Heaven...But Until Then” Ruling Elder Sam Ewing, preaching Music: “Sassabrass” Brass Quintet, Sam Ewing Liturgist: Sharon Bortz
Sunday, September 1 The 12th Sunday after Pentecost Scripture: Ecclesiastes 3:9-15 Matthew 20:1-16 Sermon: “Vocation as Vacation” Ruling Elder Sam Ewing, preaching Music: Mike Newman, vocal solo Liturgist: Helen Hayes
Worship Service Broadcast Schedule Salem Time Warner Channel 9
*Schedule subject to change
Sunday – 1 & 9 am / Monday — 1am Tuesday – 3 am, 12 & 4 pm / Wednesday – 1 am, 4
& 9 pm Friday – 1 am / Saturday – 3 am, 12 & 4 pm
POSITION DESCRIPTION FOR INTERIM PASTOR
I. The Interim Pastor shall joyfully and enthusiastically serve the First Presbyterian
Church family by providing spiritual leadership, pastoral care, and administrative
oversight concerning change, problem-solving, and organizational direction to the
congregation and church leaders.
II. General Responsibility
• To plan and lead worship; to administer the sacraments; to develop seasonal
events; to provide a biblically based and relevant preaching and teaching ministry to
meet the needs of the congregation.
• To provide pastoral care to members during times of crisis; to conduct weddings
and funerals; to instruct new member classes and to assist in the assimilation of new
members into the life of the congregation; to moderate the Session, providing
leadership and a sense of direction to the lay leadership of the church; to schedule
necessary time for study, preparation and planning for the spiritual growth of the staff
and the congregation.
• To make regular visits to the sick, hospitalized, homebound, and those member
in nursing homes, serving communion when appropriate (at least twice a year to area
shut-ins) and to those requesting it.
• To work with the appropriate committees of the church, function as Head of
Staff, and assist in developing and administering the budget.
• To oversee the maintenance of consistent curriculum and programming for
Christian Education in consultation with the appropriate staff members and Christian
• To represent the church at higher levels of the denomination and in the
• To assist the church in coming to terms with its history.
• To help the church reassess its identity.
• To assist the church in facilitating changes within the lay leadership.
• To examine linkages with Presbytery, Synod, and General Assembly, and identify
resources that might be available from each of them.
• To prepare the congregation for new pastoral leadership.
• To assist the church in completing a Mission Study in preparation for the writing
of a Mission Information Form (MIF).
• Others similar duties/activities as directed by Session.
• The Interim Pastor shall be a graduate of a fully accredited Seminary and an
ordained minister of the Word and Sacrament in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and
shall become a member in good standing of Eastminster Presbytery. We would also
consider an ordained minister from a denomination in full communion with the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.); in that case, the Interim Pastor would become a
temporary member of Eastminster Presbytery.
• The Interim Pastor shall have demonstrated through experience at the parish
level that he/she can effectively lead a congregation in the areas set forth in this
position description and in the administration of a church staff.
IV. The congregation and session will be responsible to:
• support the pastor in his/her ministry
• provide regular financial compensation according to the terms outlined below
• provide a performance review to the pastor at least annually
• pray for the pastor during this contract period
V. During the length of this agreement, the pastor will be accountable to the
Eastminster Presbytery. It is understood that the pastor will participate in the quarterly
temporary pastors meeting sponsored by the presbytery. Should the Interim Pastor
have any serious differences or difficulties with any former pastor of this congregation,
the matter will be immediately referred to the presbytery.
VI. It is understood that the Interim Pastor will not be involved in any way with the
Pastor Nominating Committee, except to facilitate that committee's regular reports to
the session and the congregation. Any concerns or suggestions about the congregation's
search for a new pastor shall be carried to the presbytery liaison. It is understood by all
parties that the pastor under contract may not be considered for the installed pastoral
position in this congregation.
VII. This agreement may be terminated by either party (session or pastor) upon 30 days
written notice. This agreement may be extended in one to twelve month periods, upon
written notice to, and the approval of, the presbytery. It is understood that the pastor
will participate in any training/discussions sponsored and/or requested by presbytery
and will participate in an exit interview conducted by presbytery.